HISTORY: Isabella was adopted into the Smith family July 18, 2008. She had been born 2-months prematurely, and was 2 months old when we got her. One week later, she suddenly had a breathing crisis and was rushed to the hospital following a traumatic resuscitatation.

This was the begginning of a (now) seven month odyssey. Isabella suffers from Bronchial Displasia, related to premature lungs at birth. Whenever she gets a cold or flu bug, within hours it can become life-threatening.

Between medical incidents, Bella (or "Bellaboo" as Marc calls her) is strong, fat, healthy, robust, smart, active, alert. She is an EASY baby, happy, sleeps well, eats well. However, over 40% of her little life since birth has been spent in the Intensive Care Unit -- with either her Mommy or her Daddy at her side.

August 6, Wednesday: Daddy’s Little Girl

(From Philip): I had my third scare in three days tonight. Twice before, when Isabella was less sedated, I had opened the door of the incubator to talk to Isabella. Both times when she looked at me and heard my voice, she started to wiggle, and all the alarms went off – heart jumped to 190 and saturation dropped from a stable 96% to a dangerous 70%.

Tonight she was awake again. I told the nurse of my concern with her seeing me, and asked if a doctor was nearby. I then opened the door of the incubator until she saw me, and talked to her. Her eyebrows furrowed, her face contorted, and she just started to cry and wiggle. All of the sudden, sure enough, heart jumped, oxygen dropped, alarms went off, and nurses came running.

I will not try that again…but it warmed my heart to imagine that she recognizes me (is that possible at 3 months?) and seemed to want to jump into my arms.

Blessings, Philip